AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > First Generation Legend -- 1986 - 1990 > 1st Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 07-18-2021, 03:57 PM   #1
G1 fanatic

G1 fanatic is on a distinguished road
Default Need help 89 sedan.

Hey gang, finally took the garage queen for a long drive today. My front speakers are toast, what is a decently priced upgrade without hacking the plastic backing? I already replaced the rears but need to fix the front paper crap. Lol
Speedometer bounces and I can’t find a cable for sale anywhere. Anybody have a reputable source? It’s not horrible but I like to relive 1989. ��
My side cover and valve cover gaskets are seeping again after ten years, looks like still available from Acura.
I need to clean egr and replace the crossover pipe, it’s never been done. How ugly is this? No issues but I know it’s likely clogged.
Have a weird intermittent sloooowww coolant leak on transmission side. Top of trans has some dried coolant. I have never smelled a leak after replacing original rad. A bunch of coolant hoses above trans, I’d do them all if there’s a kit. I’m planning on taking on long road trip some day and don’t want an silly failure.
Timing belt last done 1999 but very few km since. I have a box with all OEM parts but zero motivation to tackle. ����
All advice appreciated, cheers gang.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:51 AM   #2
JKLedbetter
Marcel's cousin

JKLedbetter will become famous soon enough

Regarding the speedometer cable, have you tried lubricating it?

-Kennon
JKLedbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 05:34 PM   #3
paulo57509

paulo57509 is on a distinguished road

This is of no help but....

Years ago, I found some Radio Shack 6-1/2 coaxial speakers that were on the closeout table for $20/pair. They came in handy when the surrounds of the originals disintegrated.

They've been connected to an early factory CD/Cassette unit -

for the past +20 years and it sounds very good.

I have a box of "Someday, I'll get to it..." parts too. I wanted to switch the oil filter over to a spin-on when I replace the Figure-8 o-ring, but never got around to it. I have front hubs and wheel bearings, a new oil pan and an oil pressure gauge that's only half installed but not hooked up.

However, I have no problem driving this thing long-distance. Never say die.....

Last edited by paulo57509; 07-20-2021 at 05:41 PM.
paulo57509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 06:16 PM   #4
G1 fanatic

G1 fanatic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo57509 View Post
This is of no help but....

Years ago, I found some Radio Shack 6-1/2 coaxial speakers that were on the closeout table for $20/pair. They came in handy when the surrounds of the originals disintegrated.

They've been connected to an early factory CD/Cassette unit -

for the past +20 years and it sounds very good.

I have a box of "Someday, I'll get to it..." parts too. I wanted to switch the oil filter over to a spin-on when I replace the Figure-8 o-ring, but never got around to it. I have front hubs and wheel bearings, a new oil pan and an oil pressure gauge that's only half installed but not hooked up.

However, I have no problem driving this thing long-distance. Never say die.....
Hey, I have that same head unit from a mid 90ís TL. Mine still works too. I replaced rear shelf speakers with some $40 ones I found on sale and they sound fine. My fronts have disintegrated, Iím looking for a shallow mount