AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > First Generation Legend -- 1986 - 1990 > 1st Gen. Legend Performance Enhancements

Old 07-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
(/O^O\)
Banned

(/O^O\) is on a distinguished road
Default ADDCO bar is FUBAR and a FAIL - do not buy for your G1 - photo record of misfit

This posting is intended to be an easily found article for the community for all time. It contains photos taken by NUCLEARSYMPHONY and myself - taken at different times and for bars obtained from different retailers - but in both cases drop-shipped from ADDCO directly. ADDCO claims in their installation sheet that:...

"This bar was designed as an original equipment replacement bar (O.E.) it comes with some of the hardware required to install it,. depending on the application. If hardware is not included with the kit, the hardware from the O.E. bar must be retained and re-used."

...then later under "STEP 2: This bar may differ slightly from the O.E. bar but it was designed to fit in the same position using the O.E. and the supplied hardware."

You can see from Nuke's photo

and mine

the width difference, but that could be resolved by merely reversing the end links 'left for right'.

The bar fits between the trailing arm beams and would simply end up closer to the trailing arms using the same OEM end links because the links themselves are each offset and would provide another 2" width after the L to R switch.

The critical difference comes with the bends.

Notice that the ADDCO bar middle section bends lay on a flat plane until the "L" end which has an "S" bend in it..

Our G1 bar has 2 "S" bends at each end of its center 32" section before it turns to form the "L". These "S" bends allow it to fit up into a recess in the underside where it bolts to the forward surface of the subframe. Since the ADDCO bar cannot fit into the recess it must somehow attach to the subframe lower surface. But there are no bolt holes to attach to and ADDCO provides only 2 simple "hat" or "U" brackets like a plumbing supply shop would sell. It implies bolting to some OEM bolt which doesn't exist or dropping the subframe to fabricate 2 sets of bolt attachments, like a U-bolt style leaf spring installation. THIS IS THE CRITICAL FAIL.

I am aware that this last issue has been addressed in the case of the PROGESS bar used on ACCORD CB7 - and again involves a special bracket and bolted connection frabricated into the sub-frame.

ADDCO does not include this kind of special bracket - and it would not be called an OEM replacement if it did.
(/O^O\) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
l4zy415
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!

l4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura aboutl4zy415 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415

I wonder if it was meant for the 86-88 Sedan.

My Build Thread
Oh my gawd
That jar better blow me twice and cook breakfast for $1000.
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light

No it's meant for the G2...

The KA2 one bends down and goes under the spare tire well...

Sorry to hear Tinton, but at least we have proof that we shouldn't even waste our time with these people...

I hope they don't give you a hard time on the return and refund process...
RIP fut
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:02 AM   #4
NuclearSymphony
130R

NuclearSymphony will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the post and the sticky, I'm sorry it all turned out this way. It is astounding that even after the episode I had with this exact same bar last summer, they completely ignored the obvious problem, and still ship this G2 bar when a G1 bar is ordered. The incompetence and/or laziness there is unthinkable. I'm truly amazed they are still in business at all today.

Last edited by NuclearSymphony; 07-05-2010 at 07:07 AM.
NuclearSymphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:26 AM   #5
uniquelegend
Legend Enthusiast

uniquelegend is on a distinguished road

these business mens probaly dont know their cars or just trying to false advertise. Id press charge if they give me a hard time. Last guy i dealt with he gave me a pretty quick refund
Old 11-26-2010, 05:59 AM   #6
ManOfBusiness
My Penis Has A Name

ManOfBusiness is a jewel in the roughManOfBusiness is a jewel in the roughManOfBusiness is a jewel in the roughManOfBusiness is a jewel in the rough

How much do you want for the bar?
Old 12-23-2010, 12:05 PM   #7
Beeze
O.G. in O.C.

Beeze is on a distinguished road

Just a reminder... all G1 legends have found working sway bar upgrades

89-90 sedans 20MM

86-88 sedans 16MM

all g1 coupes 20MM

Last edited by Beeze; 12-23-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Beeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
Chrispy
Pisser of Parades

Chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of lightChrispy is a glorious beacon of light

That is most def a G2 bar. Interested in selling?
If by some chance I have given you the impression that I care or that I give a f&%k, be advised that this user does, in fact, give less than a fraction of a f&%k what you think. Zero f&%ks have been given by this user in this post. Have a nice day

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #9
94LegendaryAcuraGS
The Mad Scientist!!

94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about

Yes definitely a G2 bar. I have them (front & rear) on my Legend and instantly could tell it was the one for my car!