AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > First Generation Legend -- 1986 - 1990 > 1st Gen. Legend General Discussion

Old 12-22-2020, 08:54 PM   #1
JKLedbetter
Marcel's cousin

JKLedbetter will become famous soon enough
Default Headlight combination switch

When I turned on the headlights in the '89 sedan, the switch moved normally through the parking light detent, but then made a crunching sound as it moved into the headlight detent.

The switch no longer works and the parking lights are stuck on.

Anybody have a spare switch for sale?

Or know of other Honda models that use the same switch?

-Kennon
JKLedbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:14 AM   #2
94LegendaryAcuraGS
The Mad Scientist!!

94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about

OUCH!! Now that isn't good. I'll keep my eye out down here in Birmingham for any G1 car parts for sale. You may have to do an eBay search or check the Facebook listings for those G1 parts. I haven't seen anything here locally since May I think for a G1 Legend. There had been a PRISTINE interior G1 coupe down here who I know the person who owned that car before it went to "the great paperclip factory in the sky!!"
Old 12-23-2020, 12:37 PM   #3
JKLedbetter
Marcel's cousin

Thanks, Chaka.

I disassembled the switch enough to see that the white plastic tab which is rotated by the switch on the end of the stalk has broken. It moves a slide switch when rotated.

It doesn't look fixable.

Does anyone know if this same switch was used on any other honda models?

-Kennon
Old 12-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #4
94LegendaryAcuraGS
The Mad Scientist!!

94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about94LegendaryAcuraGS has a spectacular aura about

Hmm G1 parts I'd look at a 1990 - 1993 CB7 Accord. Sterling likely the same but you'll find probably 10 - 1 G1 Legends in comparison to a Sterling. I saw probably a 1986 or 1987 G1 sedan I believe this past Sunday. It looked to be in fair exterior condition. I was just happy to see it was still being driven. Legends are rarely spotted vehicles down here regardless of which generation it is.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:30 AM   #5
paulo57509

paulo57509 is on a distinguished road

P/N 35260-SG0-A82, Lighting Switch; replaces P/N 35260-SG0-A81

Fits 1989-1990

I'd ask the guys here if the Honda part crosses over to Sterlings. They may have a good, used one: https://www.sterlingfixer.com/
paulo57509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 07:38 PM   #6
JKLedbetter
Marcel's cousin

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo57509 View Post
...I'd ask the guys here if the Honda part crosses over to Sterlings. They may have a good, used one: https://www.sterlingfixer.com/
Nope, this part doesn't cross over, but the good news is he has a used Acura part.

-Kennon
Old 01-21-2021, 09:05 AM   #7
JKLedbetter
Marcel's cousin

Finally got the used switch from SterlingFixer.

When I hooked it up I checked all the lights and discovered the right front yellow side marker is not working. The bulb checked OK a with multi-meter. But one of the two hot wires shows only 8 volts.

I don't see how this could be attributed to the switch, but what could it be?

And on a 2nd note, I wanted to reuse my stalk because it is cleaner and less faded, but I can't figure out how to detach the rotating part from the stalk. There appears to be a tiny, tiny pin that may hold it together. It is between the 5th & 6th rib counterclockwise (looking down the length from the outer end) from the off label. So small it looks like a nick in the plastic. Does anyone know how to remove this pin?

-Kennon
Old 01-25-2021, 09:58 PM   #8
paulo57509

paulo57509 is on a distinguished road

I've often wondered about how to get the lighting switch apart but have no clue on how to do this.

The marker lights are controlled by the Integrated Control Unit that's under the dash. Other than probing for continuity and voltage, there's not much in the FSM. The only non-battery voltage reading exiting the Integrated Control Unit is associated with the entry light timer circuit (~10v).

This is from the '87 Coupe Manual. Hopefully it can be of some help.

Last edited by paulo57509; 01-25-2021 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Added image of circuit diagram
paulo57509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:19 AM   #9
94LegendaryAcuraGS
The Mad Scientist!!

^^ SPAM ALERT!! SPAM ALERT!!