AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present  

Go Back   AcuraLegend.Org - The Acura Legend Forum for All Generations of the Honda / Acura Legend; 1986 to Present > First Generation Legend -- 1986 - 1990 > 1st Gen. Legend Performance Enhancements

Old 06-25-2015, 05:41 PM   #1
fkyfreddie
1990 Acura Legend L

fkyfreddie is on a distinguished road
Default Check engine/Temperature gauge

Any time I drive on the freeway over 5 miles and get off on the exit ramp as I slow down or come to a stop my check engine light comes on. I've checked the code and it read Code 8 ( TDC Sensor). I don't see any other codes but this one. My Temperature gauge rises fast, but tends to come down as I drive. If stuck in traffic it stays hot and I have to run the heater. It is summer and it sucks to have to do this. Any help would be great.

All response are welcome.

1990 Acura Legend L ( Coupe )
fkyfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:59 PM   #2
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light

Code 8 TDC Sensor typically requires replacement of the entire distributor. Replacing JUST the sensor is possible, but lots of guys who did that weren't able to get things to perfectly align again...which means they did all that work and still had a Code 8 to show for it.

As for the overheating issue, do your fans come on at all?
RIP fut
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 03:15 AM   #3
fkyfreddie
1990 Acura Legend L

Sam, Thank you for the reply. I will try that. As for the fans, I haven't noticed them coming on in awhile. I use to have a clicking sound come from the passenger side quarter panel from one or both of my relays but that has also stopped. Where should I start?
Old 06-26-2015, 09:25 AM   #4
sam o nela
Banned

sam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of lightsam o nela is a glorious beacon of light

First I would apply 12v directly to each fan, one at a time, to ensure they come on with power. If so, move on to the relays. If not, the fans or motors need to be replaced.

Of course, you might as well also remove both Fan relays (one under the dash, one next to the ECU), open them up, and inspect the solder joints. Bad solder joints are a very common issue with both of those relays. Even a novice at soldering could fix them up using some simple "how to solder PCB" videos on YouTube.
RIP fut
Old 06-26-2015, 10:49 AM   #5
fkyfreddie
1990 Acura Legend L

Sweet, I will pick up a distributor kit today install it and test the fans after that. If not go on to the relays.

After replacing the distributor do I need to pull the alt fuse to reset the code?
Old 06-26-2015, 04:35 PM   #6
fkyfreddie
1990 Acura Legend L

Do I have to replace the cap and rotor to or just the distributor?
Old 06-26-2015, 07:09 PM   #7
sam o nela
Banned

just the dizz should suffice. And yeah you'll need to pull the alt fuse for 30 seconds or so
RIP fut